Baking with citrus is a new found love. Fresh oranges not only lend an amazing fragrance to the cakes and loafs, their zest also contribute to extra layer of flavor. I have baked many things this winter with all the beautiful oranges I had. This loaf and an Orange ice-cream I made few days’ back were best out of all the tries.
This cake can be enjoyed anytime of the day. My favorite is to keep nibbling the bits while taking small breaks during the daily chores. You know I love tea and when there is banana bread or orange loaf to be enjoyed I feel like having tea and cake as meals!
I really loved this loaf, it was fragrant, moist and tender. If you are looking for a quick tea time loaf to enjoy with family and friends, this could be your next go to recipe. My kids love oranges and they loved this cake. They wanted to eat it in breakfast and even after the dinner also!
The recipe is simple and can be whipped up quite quickly. The only thing which takes time is squeezing orange juice. Don’t forget to add the orange zest because it makes all the difference.
If you are looking for a quick tea time loaf to enjoy with family and friends, this could be your next go to recipe
- 300g (1 ½ cups) granulated brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 240ml (1 cup) canola oil
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 240ml (240ml) orange juice
- 350g (2 ½ cups) all purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon (10g) baking powder
- To finish the cake
- 120ml (½ cup) orange juice
- 20g (½ cup) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325⁰F/160⁰. Grease a 9x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and line a 6 cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, granulated sugar, oil, orange zest and orange juice until well mixed.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder and mix well.
- Add the dry mix to wet mixture until well combined.
- Fill the loaf pan with 3/4 part of batter and fill the cupcake pan with the remaining batter.
- Bake for loaf for 40 minutes or until the cake is golden in color and cake tester comes out clean when it is inserted in the center of the loaf. I use bamboo stick for the purpose.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Do not over bake the cupcakes or they will turn dry.
- When the loaf and cupcakes are baked, brush with orange juice & powdered sugar mixture to keep the loaf and cupcakes moist. It will also add to the 'orangy' flavor.